Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Gethsemane

When I read or hear the Easter story one portion sticks to my heart and brings tears to my eyes; Jesus’ prayer in the garden of Gethsemane.

Have you ever been to Gethsemane? Not the actual garden in Israel, but the place Christ’s heart was on that night? The name Gethsemane means ‘oil press’ a place of squeezing oil from the olives. A place where ones soul is pushed, crushed, and pressed to its breaking point.
On the night Christ went to the garden he knew Judas had betrayed him, he knew Caiaphas would send him to Pilot, he knew the Roman guards would mock and torture him, he knew his own people would choose to free a murder over him, he knew how heavy the cross was, he knew every rock and stumbling point on the path to Golgotha, he knew how his body would ache for breath on the cross, he knew the bitterness of vinegar, and yet in those moments he prayed for YOU!

‘…I in them and you in me. May they be brought to complete unity to let the world know that you sent me and have loved them even as you have loved me. "Father, I want those you have given me to be with me where I am, and to see my glory, the glory you have given me because you loved me before the creation of the world.’ –John 17:23-24

He prayed for your hearts, for your life and for your soul. In the midst of the pain that would come his unending love made his heart long for you to know him. To know his love, and his desires for you.

It is heartbreaking and encouraging to know in Christ’s last breaths and final moments he was thinking of YOU!

“Father forgive them, they know not what they do.” –Luke 23:34

No matter how long you have been a Christian the time comes that we turn from God, if only for a moment, or one choice decision, but to go to Gesthemane and be broken and pressed with Christ is to know his heart was for you, and for all God’s children. Do not be afraid to be pressed on all sides, for Christ is the restorer, the forgiver, and the lover of our souls.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home