Saturday, October 27, 2007

Day Five: 10-18 Dublin (Happy Birthday to Me)



We woke up this morning in a chill. For some reason our radiator stopped working in the night, but I think Justin survived well, since he had all the covers on his side of the bed. We decided to stay under the warm covers a little longer before going down to another wonderful Irish breakfast. They sure know how to fill a belly over here.

We talked with Moira, the Springvale owner, about the bus and how to get into town. Once we got our route planned we headed off to join the morning rush. It’s been great to ride the buses, and not fight our American driving instincts. So into town we go, and then jumped on the Dublin Tour bus. The morning was a bit chilly, and a restless night’s sleep kept me from taking the pictures that I should have, but that just mean we’ll have to come back another time J

Our tour guide was pretty funy, and serenaded us with some Irish tunes along the way. At the end of the nearly two hour tour, we jumped off and headed over to the Writer’s museum. (Hehehe- a good place to go on my Birthday, I dare say) It was a joy to hear the stories of the Irish greats. To see first editions, even some with hand written notes, of such names as James Joyce, Orson Wells, Bram Stoker, William Yates, and many more that have written from or about Ireland. Justin let me get a couple of books, even though I secretly wanted to buy the shop. It was encouraging to here how each author struggled through their art to create something that held a truth of Irish History and it’s people. I love my Husband so much, cause he fell asleep during the tour, and him willingly going into the museum proves his love to me. Yes, it’s silly, but if he does something I love and he hates, and he doesn’t fuss about it I know he’s still in love we me. J

Next we headed up to Trinity College. The Book of Kells (ancient illustrated version of the gospels) is held here, but I felt Justin had seen enough books for the day. So we walked the campus and then headed over to the Hard Rock Café. Granted not a very Irish place to eat, but it is a traveling tradition of mine. After having a bite, and a pint of Guinness we picked out my Dublin Hard Rock T-shirt and head out to wander the streets. It’s pretty fun to start to know your way around a town in another country, makes you feel like a real world traveler. We walked over and took a picture or the hotel owned by Bono, and down to the historic Custom’s House. Once thing about wandering the streets is my feet are tired, so back to the bus and the B&B for hopefully a warmer night’s sleep.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home