Sunday, March 04, 2007

A.C.T.S.

Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. –Philippians 4:6

In the last few weeks I seem to be surrounded by messages, sermons, and bible studies that highlight prayer. This is no coincident. There is a lot going on in my life right now, and the one place I need to go is often the last place I find myself; on my knees in prayer.

I am often amazed by the people in my life that are able to go straight to prayer without a tantrum or frustration. Though I’ve been a Christian for fourteen years now, going to God in prayer is a hard thing for me to do. It requires a level of faith that I have a hard time achieving on a daily basis. Sure I pray daily, but often I don’t take that time seriously. It is just a routine, an obligation to my faith, and that is what has shocked me about my prayer life in the last few weeks.

It’s amazing to look back over my life and see God pushing me to my knees. Not with happy moments at first, but a spinal disease, seizures, bad college grades, and persistent job loss have been the events to break down my stubborn and willful self. And each time, when I have no hope left, God lifts me out of it through amazing times of prayer. It was those times that I’m broken into so many little pieces that I felt so in tune with God.

OUCH! You know that realization really hurts a bit. Why can’t I be at that point of faith constantly? I can’t even imagine what amazing things that would do for my relationships, faith, and my writing. I think part of it is laziness, or the way my minds runs off on tangents in the most inopportune moments. But it is something I need to change, now.

How is your prayer life? Have you taken the time to evaluate your conversations with God? Take the time to have a real heart to heart with Him. Go past the superficial layers of prayer to the prayers, petitions and thanksgivings of you heart. He longs to hear you speak to him intimately so you can be at a place to hear his words for you life.

If prayer is a struggle for you, and you don’t know where to start of what to say, maybe this acronym will help.
Adoration – Praise God for who he is!
Confession – Tell God about the struggles and sins that have crossed your path
Thanksgiving- Thank God for all the things he has provided for you
Supplication- Let God know what is on your heart

This is not a perfect formula for prayer, because prayer is a personal thing between you and God. But this acronym is a way to get started. Take the time this week to sit down with God, get on your knees even, and don’t be afraid to shed a few tears. God will be there to lift you head and dry your tears with his loving hands.


Dear Heavenly Father, thank you for who you are, and the infinite patience you give to us daily. Your grace and love is never ending, and falls to your children no matter where our hearts often stray. Lord I ask for you to revel to our hearts the importance of prayer, and give us the faith and submission to come to our knees. Let our hearts be refreshed and encourage by time in your presence Lord, may prayer become our addiction and something we long for in our daily lives. Shed blessings and encouragement on your children, oh Lord. Amen.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home